Tuesday 20 March 2012

Rockett to construct 60 foot broadcasting tower

Education candidate Paddy Rockett has confirmed rumours that he intends to construct a 60 foot tall broadcasting tower on the roof of the SU building in order to increase the broadcast range of student radio station, ULFM.

The Rockett for Education campaign today unveiled an ambitious plan to build a broadcasting tower, costing an estimated €15m, on top of the existing SU building. The rationale for this is increasing the range of ULFM broadcasts nationwide and beyond.

"As part of my campaign promise to establish an SU Department of Propaganda and Good Feelings, I pledge to build this broadcasting tower, so that people across the country can tune in to my daily radio show, Rockett's Rundown. This show will form a key part of my attempts to establish a much needed cult of personality around myself."

The current Communications Officer and head of ULFM, Kelly O'Brien, was decidedly dubious about the move. "I think the idea of a broadcasting tower is broadly good. However, I feel that Paddy has failed to recognise the need to improve all student media, not just the radio. As such, I have suggested that the SU purchases a printing press, a TV station and the Irish Examiner."

Some have called O'Brien's plans untenable, but Rockett endorsed the scheme: "Anything that gets my face, voice and personality out there is fine by me. Where's my axe?"

No comments:

Post a Comment